Saturday, September 04, 2010

Delicacy of Nobility

A new day beckoned, the majestic ball of fire made its dramatic entrance, signaling the start of a brand new day. Really appreciated the fact that I had the Saturday off. It was nice to break the monotony. My mind often grapples with shock at how time flies. I had to rediscover the joy of work-life balance and put things in perspective. Slept like a baby and awoke from my deep slumber to the tune of the gentle morning breeze crooning outside my window.

Made reservations to taste the delicacies of nobility @ St Regis -- Yan Ting Restaurant:




Name of sculpture: The Nude Couple. hmm...hope I don't look like that when I get older! *GULP*

The temptation of the mouth-water gastronomic fanfare was too much for me to abstain from. Clearly, my diet plans had to be thrown out of the window (if there were any to begin with). Everything seemed so tantalizing and I was eager to consume the temptation there and then. Portions were nice for two. Many a times I wanted to go for dim sum with the hubs but am afraid of over-ordering. Here, the problem is solved with most items coming in pairs. Prices are however on the high side. Eg. Mango Pomelo Dessert ($8)-- Yes, clearly I was oblivious to the price and pampering myself blindly. Char siew sou ($3.6 for 2). Sweet and savoury bits of char siew within the golden coat of buttery flaky pastry. Perfect.


My tastebuds exploded in utter delight when I sank my teeth in one of my favourite dim sum items -- Carrot cake. I do hope my aunt would order this for 2011 Chinese New year.


Stir-fried rice roll ($6) with XO sauce. An interesting dish which tasted quite like its cheaper cousin-- Char Kway Teow. Its full-bodied taste lingered in my mouth.
There's also the a la carte Dim Sum buffet going at $98 ++ but I wasn't ready to expand the waistline.

Inviting tradition. Signature mooncakes handcrafted by Yan Ting's Masterchefs. I was drawn by the fact that it was Sugar-free. Perfect for the MIL who doesn't have a sweet tooth! At $60 for a box of 4 Sugar-free White Lotus Paste, it's bigger tab than other hotels but well-suited to be bestowed to your most-cherished elders. I was hoping that I could sample some of the other snow-skinned versions like Almond snow skin mooncake with Japanese sweet potato paste which is coloured by the natural purple hues of the creamy Okinawan sweet potato, or the Seven perfumes snow skin with yolk and white lotus paste or the exotic Seven perfumes Snow skin with Martel Cordon Bleu Cognac Truffle and White Lotus Paste -- That sounds out of this world. However, there was no sampling and I could not purchase only one to try. :(

After the YOG, this was finally the first decent meal I had with sweetie. I think it has been a month now since we've sat down together for a meal. Wanted to patronize Blooies @ Siglap but parking was a nightmare thus we ventured further and made a spontaneous decision to dine at BIG FISH. It has been in business for quite some time now and I thought we gave it a try. The lobster bisque was a disappointing number. Sweetie commented that I made better crab bisque. The pan-seared cod which I ordered also did not make the mark.


Met up with H on Friday night. My tummy and head were raging war on me once again thus I decided to head for a healthy option -- NAIVE @ Katong. I've probably blogged about it previously but once is not enough for this place. Natural and simple. Fantastic and healthy-asian menu from purely plant-based ingredients with no meat, no eggs, no garlic, no msg. Sounds impossible? Well they certainly managed to pass the stringent test and serve up a mean meatless meal! The Sweet and Sour Tofu was so good it makes one wonder if one is having the meat version! The Monkeyhead mushrooms with broccoli was also one of my favourites! Its texture was like chicken! Amazing. I'm totally bowled over by this revolutionary find! Love the decor and design too. Apparently it's designed by a budding artist who is part of a youth group called NOISE. The shop closes rather early though (10pm). I guess it's in line with being healthy.

The obscurity of the night is slowly creeping in.The crescent moon hung ceremoniously accompanied by a couple of stars twinkling like an entourage. For now, I'm just savouring what's left of the wonderful Saturday and hopefully Sunday will bring more delight!


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 


designer : anniebluesky : www.bloggeruniversity.blogspot.com